Membership of the BHI is open to anyone with an interest in horology. There are several levels of membership available, depending on the professional expertise of the applicant.
- Associate: anyone with an interest in horology. No special entrance requirements.
- Member (MBHI): a competent and experienced horologist who may have either been awarded an acceptable horological qualification or demonstrated equivalent practical knowledge and experience.
- Fellow (FBHI): a competent and experienced horologist who demonstrates excellence in general horology, or eminence in a particular practical horological specialism.
- Corporate Member: a company involved in horology or a related business, which supports the work of the institute.
- Trade Associate: a professional in a field closely allied to horology, eg engraver, cabinet maker, dial restorer etc. This grade is also available for small businesses.
The BHI normally automatically affiliates new members to the Branch corresponding with the address stated on their application form. Subject to personal preference, members may transfer their Branch affiliation as a result of say; where the normally work, ease of transport to meetings, or simply personal preference.
If enquiring about membership please refer to the main BHI website (http://www.bhi.co.uk/bhi-membership)